The lodge has been built to environmentally friendly standards; rainwater is collected and electricity is provided by solar power. Activities to enjoy at Virunga Volcano Lodge include gorilla trekking, golden monkey trekking, a visit to renowned primatologist and conservationist Dian Fossey’s grave, and hikes to the top of the volcanoes.
The magnificent Virunga Lodge is the premier luxury gorilla lodge of Rwanda and one of Africa’s finest and most renowned lodges. The lodge is perched high on a ridge with stunning views of the Virunga Volcanoes and the Musanze valley to the west and Lake Bulera and Ruhondo to the east.
It offers the finest views in Africa, uniquely decorated rooms in the Rwandese style, fantastic food and exceptional and personalised service by our carefully trained staff. It is the first accommodation choice for the luxury traveller tracking the endangered mountain gorilla.
Each of our ten luxurious bandas has a private terrace from which our guests can watch the sunrise over the dramatic landscape of mountains and lakes. Luxuriously appointed, with the accent on vibrant Rwandese fabrics and stylish locally inspired furniture.
Each Banda has an individual fire place, a luxury shower room with a double vanity, and charging station.
The two deluxe bandas – called Ibirunga and Ibiyaga have their own private sitting room and more refined interiors.
- Wifi access in the main lodge building and Dian Fossey Map Room
- Ikirunga – The Spa
- One complimentary massage per guest
- Premium wine, whisky, and cocktail menus
- Complimentary laundry and boot cleaning service
- Personal butler service for all guests.
- 10 stone guest bandas with tile roofs (2 deluxe, 6 doubles and 2 twins) reflect the local building style.
- Guide cottage available
- Bandas are individually named after lakes in the area.