1 day Rwanda gorilla tour
This is a short 1 day Rwanda gorilla tour. The tour will start in Kigali, “the capital of Rwanda” very early in the morning, heading to Volcanoes National Park, north-west of the country.
1 Day Gorilla Trekking Tour Rwanda gives you a unique opportunity to track the endangered mountain gorillas in their natural habitat in the shortest time possible.
This tour is perfect if you are in Rwanda for a very limited time, but have time to spare for a Wildlife expedition.
In Rwanda, gorillas are habituated in 10 groups which can be visited every day with each group being visited by a maximum of 8 people.
On arrival, enjoy your breakfast and proceed to the park headquarters at Kinigi for the briefing by the park warden. At 8:30 am the tour guide will transfer you to the starting point of the gorilla trek.
The gorilla groups are allocated to the guests at random at the park headquarters. However, our experienced guides have over time built a strong relationship with the park wardens. They normally talk to them before time and express the clients’ interests in specific gorilla groups. They normally get a positive response over this.
Mountain Gorillas(Gorilla beringei beringei) are one of the primate species located in the Virunga Conservation area. Other primates include Golden Monkeys, L’Hoest Monkey, Colobus, Baboons and many more. Of all the primates in these mountains, the gorilla stands out to be the largest and most gentle.
The gorillas live in groups of families with silver backs and female and According to Wikipedia, “The mountain gorilla is highly social and lives in relatively stable, cohesive groups held together by long-term bonds between adult males and females. Relationships among females are relatively weak.
1 Day Gorilla Trekking Tour Rwanda Full Itinerary
The safari will start and end in Kigali the capital of Rwanda. Our driver will pick you from your Hotel or Lodge(after having breakfast or with packed breakfast) at 4:30 am to start on your 116km journey to Volcanoes National park.
The journey to Volcanoes national park takes an average of 2-3 hours and on reaching the park offices, you will be briefed by park officers and then assigned to a gorilla group to track.
You will then be led into the forest by a ranger guide to tracking the primates.
Gorilla trek may take between 30 mins to 8 hours depending on the movements of the primates. However, upon locating the gorillas, you will then spend 1hr with them.
Enjoy the unique adventure and you can take pictures(with no flash).
After the 1hr which seems to be like minutes, then we trek back out of the forest and then transfer back to Kigali for your flight back.
What you need for Gorilla trekking in Rwanda
Just like Mountain Climbing, gorilla trekking also requires these items when tracking the gorillas.
- Water: Gorilla trekking can be very tiresome and you need to refill your tank as the trek goes on. It is advisable to park a few water filtration tablets before you come for the trek.
- Boots: You will need good waterproof comfortable shoes. Some times it rains during the trek, so skid proof shoes can come in handy.
- Rain Jacket: You are advised to carry a rain jacket because if rains very often in Volcanoes National park
- Snack: You can carry a light snack to give you some energy during the walk in the forest
- Trouser and Shirts The forest in Volcanoes NP is covered with thick undergrowth, therefore light trousers and long-sleeved shirts are advised.
- Socks: You will have to tuck in the trousers into the socks to avoid insects crawling inside.
- Gloves: You will need Gardening gloves because you will be grabbing tree branches, leaves, name it, and some can be thorny.
- Camera: Carry a good camera to capture this lifetime experience (no flash)